Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Welcome to PWB

I'm not here to give people any big stories or find the next big exclusive.  I'm not even here to rate matches with stars; that's for marks.  I am here to offer my opinion on the state of Professional Wrestling.  I'm not even limiting it to just what's going on today; I might occasionally get the urge to post something about Pro Wrestling's past.  I have been watching Pro Wrestling since 1996, when I was a mere six years old, and I've been intensely passionate about the business ever since.  I learned some of the inner workings of the business around the time that "Beyond the Mat" came out.  You know, the movie that goes inside the lives of Jake Roberts, Mick Foley and Terry Funk.  When I saw Foley and Rock discussing spots before their big I Quit match that I marked out so passionately for when it happened, it all clicked.


That being said, I never stopped watching.  I still absolutely love Pro Wrestling today despite less people liking it now than since before Hogan came around.  I watched as WCW overcame WWE for a year and a half in the ratings war.  I watched as all of WCW's best talents (Jericho, Guerrero, Malenko, Saturn and Benoit) made their jumps to WWE.  I watched as Austin 3:16 and Do You Smell what The Rock is Cooking? became international phenomenons.  Hell, in 5th grade, I even wore a Stone Cold Steve Austin T-Shirt to my school and was made to turn it inside out because it was "inappropriate".  I then watched as the raw, violent attitude era faded away and we were given some of the best pure wrestling of all time.  With names like Angle, Lesnar, Guerrero, Mysterio, Jericho, Austin, Rock, Benoit, Edge, the Hardys, and plenty more names that were all around in the early to mid 2000s, that particular era of Pro Wrestling, while it might not technically have a name, like "Attitude Era" or "PG Era", might be my favorite era of all time.  I even witnessed purchase of WCW and one of the most ridiculously botched storylines in Pro Wrestling history thanks to the ego of the McMahon family.

In my opinion, the best era of wrestling in history was born at the same time as Austin 3:16 and died at the same time as Eddie Guerrero.  Eddie Guerrero, still is to this day, is my favorite performer of all time, with a close second being Chris Jericho.  The difference between Guerrero and Jericho, in my opinion at least, was always passion.  Eddie Guerrero was a pro wrestler; he never wanted to be anything else, he never even realized that there was an option to be something else.  The business coursed through his veins from birth, and he loved it.  Jericho, on the other hand, is a Pro Wrestler, a musician, a writer, and now, a dancer.  Eddie had the passion for the business like no other, including Jericho.

Now that you know about me and what I think about the business so far (it's not easy to sum up my 15 years of viewing into a post that isn't tl;dr material) I'm going to end this post and move on to a new one.  I want to keep this one an intro to me and this blog, and nothing else.  The upcoming post, though, will be my analysis on the current State of the WWE, something that Triple H kind of failed to actually talk about in what was called the "State of the WWE Address".  Shocking, Trips couldn't stay on subject in a promo.

No comments:

Post a Comment