Monday, January 2, 2012

My 3-Month Prior Wrestlemania XXVIII Card

As I said, I'm going to continue doing these monthly.  Granted, this one's a day late, but better late than never.

1. The Rock vs John Cena - This is a given, obviously.
2. The Undertaker vs Triple H - As great as this match could be, I feel like Undertaker vs Kane would be better.  Nonetheless, this is the most likely match to happen at Mania this year, and these guys are going to leave everything they have out in that ring - possibly in a literal sense.

3. CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (c) - Yes, I think Jericho is going to win the WWE title going into Wrestlemania.  There is always more money in the babyface CHASING the title than the other way around.  I'm thinking Jericho wins the title at the Elimination Chamber PPV, which still gives Punk a very commendable 4 month title reign.  As a heel, Jericho will have Punk to work with, then after the draft, which I'm assuming will switch Punk for Orton, Jericho can work with Orton, eventually dropping the title to either Orton himself or a young up-and-comer recently drafted to Raw, I'm thinking Sheamus.  This'll allow Punk to repackage on Smackdown and become the top dog there while Jericho provides a legitimate obstacle for the babyfaces on Raw to overcome.
4. Randy Orton (c) vs Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler - A triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship involving the fresh champion in Orton, having freshly won the title at Elimination Chamber, the #1 contender in Daniel Bryan, having a rematch clause, and the Royal Rumble winner in Dolph Ziggler.  This could be a 25-30 minute wrestling clinic with really any of the three guys winning.  If Ziggler wins he holds the title until AT LEAST Survivor Series, culminating in a reign only rivaled by his most recent US Title reign.  If Bryan wins he holds it until he gets cashed in on by the eventual Money in the Bank winner, completing a vicious circle that he started.  If Orton wins, he loses it at the next PPV, most likely to Punk who will be coming to Smackdown via the draft.
5. Sheamus (c) vs Wade Barrett - Sheamus wins the Intercontinental Championship from Cody Rhodes at either the Royal Rumble or Elimination Chamber.  Rhodes spends his rematch clause before Wrestlemania, and Barrett sees an opening, which he capitalizes on.  This might even become a triple threat match involving Drew McIntyre if recent house shows are at all telling.
6. Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes - I like the idea of Dustin shedding the Goldust gimmick for a one-off family feud.  Maybe after 'Mania he can put the makeup and wig back on and start breathing like a freak again, but for the time being, while he's feuding with his acknowledged brother, it's best he ditches the gimmick and just stays himself.  This will work as long as Dustin stops acting like a douche on twitter.  He needs to remember that Cody is the heel in this feud.
7. Alberto Del Rio & The Miz vs R-Truth & John Morrison - This is purely fantasy, but it could work.  Del Rio & Miz teamed up on CM Punk a few times already so they have some history.  Truth & Morrison could set aside their differences and reunite Black Magic & The White Shadow for one night only.  I've heard rumors that Morrison will be back for a Wrestlemania pay day, so here's to hoping.
8. The Big Show vs Shaquille O'Neal - It's in the works, so it's all but a done deal at this point.  Hopefully it's just a quick, 3-5 minute match that sees Big Show selling his ass off, Shaq reversing a chokeslam, and then Shaq picking up the win.
9. Zack Ryder vs Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino - Nobody wants to see this but Zack is building up for it on his YouTube show and it would draw TONS of eyes to the Wrestlemania product where they would see not only this Jersey Shore jackass, but also all of the great young talents and personalities that the WWE has to offer.  Hopefully this is the end of the Jersey Shore celebrities at Wrestlemania trend.
10. Beth Phoenix (c) vs Natalya Neidhart - I've been calling this one for months now and my stance has not been moved.  I discuss how I would build this up and execute it in my last fantasy card post, so be sure to check that out if you haven't already.  This would be one of two things: Falls Count Anywhere match (Street Fight) or a lumberjill match, just to fit all the Diva's on the card.  Ideally it'd be a Street Fight, but either match could work as long as the girls are given time to work.

Now that is a card.  You've got the perfect blend of young, upcoming talent and older, recognizable big-name veterans as well as a couple of celebrity appearances, especially if you include The Rock as a celebrity - I do.  I don't know for sure who I would have winning these matches, but this is just a fantasy CARD, not necessarily fantasy BOOKING.  Put it this way...in my opinion, unless a heel champion has just recently won their title, babyfaces should always win at Wrestlemania.  So Jericho, Orton, Sheamus, Dustin, Truth/Morrison, Shaq, Zack, and Nattie all to win.  The first two matches are so painfully obvious I don't even feel like I need to go into it, but for the sake of completion, Cena and Taker.

3 comments:

  1. First off, brilliant, I'd love it for 'Mania. Perfect role for Jericho, agree with him going in as champ, and great future ideas, too!

    I think you're only missing Dusty as Special Ref in the match between his sons - and if we're 'Fantasy Booking', Sin Cara vs Mysterio should be on there, even if it can't happen this year for injury reasons.

    Another great piece... can I call 'Taker vs Lesnar for 2013, along with Punk vs Austin? Unless of course you've already called that somewhere - I'm a newbie reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can call whatever you want, haha. I don't think Lesnar is coming back to the wrestling business and honestly I don't even think Undertaker will wrestle after he goes 20-0, but you never know, I suppose. I think Austin and Punk deserve the Main Event spot in WM29 but like I said, you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main reason I think Brock does one more match is purely because it's the only pro endeavor he ever truly excelled at. Obviously he doesn't need the money, but I think when the 'bug' to get back in front of a crowd hits him, it's wrestling he's best at.

    ReplyDelete